Sökning: "aquatic macroinvertebrates"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 9 avhandlingar innehållade orden aquatic macroinvertebrates.
1. Waterfowl in temperate eutrophic lakes - Interactions with macroinvertebrates, submerged vegetation and fish
Sammanfattning : The aim of this thesis was to explore some of the important links between waterfowl and the biota in shallow eutrophic lakes in temperate areas. Waterfowl depend on macroinvertebrates as sources of protein and calcium, which are essential for egg production and growth. Macroinvertebrates in turn depend on submerged vegetation for food and shelter. LÄS MER
2. The Ecological Role of Roadside Stormwater Ponds - Potential to Support Biodiversity
Sammanfattning : The increased recognition that roads may impair the aquatic environment and ecosystems has led to a shift from conventional drainage systems toward blue-green solutions such as stormwater ponds. Research on blue-green stormwater solutions has until now mainly focused on water quantity and quality. LÄS MER
3. Sediment remediation using activated carbon: amending knowledge gaps
Sammanfattning : Many coastal sediments have accumulated large quantities of contaminants from past anthropogenic activities and now act as a secondary emission source of legacy pollutants to coastal ecosystems. New sediment remediation strategies are needed to address widespread sediment pollution. LÄS MER
4. What are the effects of natural versus human-caused acidity on stream species diversity and ecosystem functioning?
Sammanfattning : Human activities have caused acidification of freshwater systems on a large scale resulting in reduced species diversity and ecological functioning in many lakes and streams. However, many naturally acidic freshwater systems have also been found, for instance in northern Sweden. LÄS MER
5. Chemical stressors influence aquatic ecosystem processes : fungicide effects on decomposer communities and primary consumers
Sammanfattning : Leaf litter decomposition is a fundamental ecosystem process for the energy provisioning in streams, mainly mediated by microbial leaf decomposers and leaf-shredding, detritivorous macroinvertebrates. Both decomposers and detritivores are under chemical stress from pesticides entering surface waters. LÄS MER