Sökning: "Reindeer Husbandry"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 23 avhandlingar innehållade orden Reindeer Husbandry.
1. Making Reindeer : The Negotiation of an Arctic Animal in Modern Swedish Sápmi, 1920-2020
Sammanfattning : The Arctic has long been perceived as a static, timeless place of shielded wilderness. This perception extended to the reindeer as both part of the Arctic environment and of traditional Indigenous livelihoods. LÄS MER
2. Histories of reindeer husbandry resilience : land use and social networks of reindeer husbandry in Swedish Sápmi 1740-1920
Sammanfattning : Against a background of ongoing and predicted climatic and environmental change facing humans on a global level, this thesis combines historical perspectives with theories of social resilience in a study of reindeer husbandry in Swedish Sápmi, from the late 18th century to the early 20th century. The thesis includes four individual studies that examine the topic from different angles, connected together by reoccurring elements of social resilience. LÄS MER
3. Selection, Maternal Effects and Inbreeding in Reindeer Husbandry
Sammanfattning : In extensive grazing systems where several owners’ flocks are allowed to mix, selection strategies will also interact, due to gene flow between flocks. The aim of the thesis was to analyse breeding schemes in terms of genetic gain and rate of inbreeding (?F), given the complexity of ownership and interaction of selection strategies within a mixing reindeer population. LÄS MER
4. Challenging Adaptability : Analysing the Governance of Reindeer Husbandry in Sweden
Sammanfattning : We live in a complex, interconnected and constantly changing world. Human driven global climate change is now a local reality that reinforces the inherent need for adaptability in human systems. LÄS MER
5. Contested Landscapes : social-ecological interactions between forestry and reindeer husbandry
Sammanfattning : Throughout northern Fennoscandia, reindeer husbandry is a central part in the cultural heritage of the Sámi people. In its history, Sámi culture and reindeer husbandry have undergone significant adaptations to environmental, social and political challenges. LÄS MER