Sökning: "Elementary particle physics"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 92 avhandlingar innehållade orden Elementary particle physics.
1. Searches for Particle Dark Matter : Dark stars, dark galaxies, dark halos and global supersymmetric fits
Sammanfattning : The identity of dark matter is one of the key outstanding problems in both particle and astrophysics. In this thesis, I describe a number of complementary searches for particle dark matter. LÄS MER
2. First Determination of the Electric Charge of the Top Quark and Studies of the Top Quark Pair Background to New Physics
Sammanfattning : This thesis is concerned with experimental investigations of properties of the top quark and processes involving this particle. In the first part of the thesis, the first determination of the electric charge of the top quark is presented. LÄS MER
3. Physics at the High-Energy Frontier : Phenomenological Studies of Charged Higgs Bosons and Cosmic Neutrino Detection
Sammanfattning : The Standard Model of particle physics successfully describes present collider data. Nevertheless, theoretical and cosmological results call for its extension. A softly broken supersymmetric completion around the TeV scale solves several of the outstanding issues. Supersymmetry requires two Higgs doublets, leading to five physical Higgs states. LÄS MER
4. Studies of Long-Lived Supersymmetric Top Quarks and Online Monitoring of the ATLAS First Level Calorimeter Trigger
Sammanfattning : The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has recently started colliding protons at 7 TeV centre-of mass energy. Extensive searches for hitherto unobserved particles and physics processes will be made as part of an ambitious scientific programme which aims to answer some of the fundamental questions in modern physics. LÄS MER
5. Calibration of the ATLAS calorimeters and discovery potential for massive top quark resonances at the LHC
Sammanfattning : ATLAS is a multi-purpose detector which has recently started to take data at the LHC at CERN. This thesis describes the tests and calibrations of the central calorimeters of ATLAS and outlines a search for heavy top quark pair resonances. LÄS MER