Sökning: "American history"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 152 avhandlingar innehållade orden American history.
1. Stoutwear and the Discourses of Disorder Constructing the Fat, Female Body in American Fashion in the Age of Standardization, 1915-1930Detta är en avhandling från Stockholm : Department of Media Studies, Stockholm University
Sammanfattning : This dissertation examines how fashion media discourses created the conditions through which the fat, female body was both known and constructed within the context of the early large-size garment industry in the United States, or what between the years 1915 and 1930 was known as “stoutwear.” Drawing on a wide array of media sources, including women’s and fashion magazines, trade journals, catalogs and style guides, and employing Michel Foucault’s archaeological method, the dissertation examines the productive nature of fashion discourse in the construction and constitution of the fleshy body, or how the discourses of stoutwear brought order to the disorderly, fat, female body. LÄS MER
- Detta är en avhandling från Sisyfos förlag
Sammanfattning : One million three hundred thousand people left Sweden for America between 1860 and 1930. In the same period, approximately two hundred thousand people returned to Sweden. "Coming Full Circle?" is an analysis of the fate and local impact of the local returnees on the Bjäre peninsula in southern Sweden. LÄS MER
3. Keep them strong, keep them friendly : Swedish-American relations and the Pax Americana, 1948-1952Detta är en avhandling från Stockholm : Stockholm University
Sammanfattning : This is a study of Swedish-American relations between 1948 and 1952, a period of exceptional flux and complexity in international politics. In this era of recovery and integration in Western Europe, the United States became profoundly engaged in European political, economic, and military affairs. LÄS MER
4. Railroading and Labor Migration Class and Ethnicity in Expanding Capitalism in Northern Minnesote, the 1880s to the mid 1920sDetta är en avhandling från Växjö : Växjö University Press
Sammanfattning : In the 1880s, capitalism as a social and economic system integrated new geographic areas of the American continent. The construction of the Duluth & Iron Range Railroad (D&IR), financed by a group of Philadelphia investors led by Charlemagne Tower and later owned by the US Steel was part of this emerging political economy based on the exploitation of human and material resources. LÄS MER
- Detta är en avhandling från Stockholm : Bokförlaget Faethon
Sammanfattning : Raul Hilberg was a pioneer of Holocaust studies and for many decades the Holocaust scholar par excellence. He embarked upon the study of the Nazi genocide after the war, and established the understanding of the Holocaust as a bureaucratically administered “destruction process,” carried out by men who were not different from the German population in general. LÄS MER