Sökning: "authoritarian regimes"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 9 avhandlingar innehållade orden authoritarian regimes.
- Detta är en avhandling från Uppsala : Universitetstryckeriet
Sammanfattning : Is the risk of civil conflict related to the quality of government? This dissertation contributes to the quantitative research on this topic. First, it provides a more nuanced account of the role of the government in influencing the risk of civil conflict. LÄS MER
2. Competitive Elections in Authoritarian States Weak States, Strong Elites, and Fractional Societies in Central Asia and BeyondDetta är en avhandling från Uppsala : Statsvetenskapliga institutionen
Sammanfattning : Why do some authoritarian states have competitive elections? This study shows that whenever there is a balance of power between candidates, competitiveness will ensue. Electoral fraud is often widespread in autocratic states, but if no single candidate or party is in a position to monopolize electoral support the result will be competitive. LÄS MER
- Detta är en avhandling från Stockholm : Statsvetenskapliga institutionen
Sammanfattning : State-civil society relations in Africa have during recent decades been transformed in the context of economic liberalisation and state reform. This study explores state-civil society relations in contemporary Uganda, from 1986 to the present, in order to illustrate and explain the scope for and capacity of different social forces to create access to and democratise the state. LÄS MER
4. Institutional Impediments and Reluctant Actors – The Limited Role of Democracy Aid in Democratic DevelopmentDetta är en avhandling från University of Gothenburg
Sammanfattning : Poverty reduction and societal modernization have traditionally been the main goals for development aid but increasingly, since the early 1990s, democracy and human rights have ascended in importance and democracy aid has been growing steadily, both in total amounts and as a share of the total aid package. This dissertation contributes to the understanding of the role of democracy aid in democratic development. LÄS MER
- Detta är en avhandling från University of Gothenburg
Sammanfattning : As counter intuitive as it might sound, autocracy without elections is a rare combination today. Elections do not constitute democracy, but they can promote democratization. This dissertation studies the process of democratization through elections, focusing on the effect of opposition coordination. LÄS MER